Do you often find yourself tossing and turning at night, trying unsuccessfully to fall asleep? If so, you’re not alone. Over 40 million Americans suffer from some form of insomnia. Insomnia can be frustrating and lead to a host of other problems, like daytime fatigue, anxiety, and irritability. But the good news is that there are things you can do to overcome it. Here are 10 practical tips to help you get a good night’s sleep.
1. Establish a regular sleep schedule. Going to bed and waking up at the same time each day helps to regulate your body’s internal clock and makes it easier to fall asleep at night.
2. Create a bedtime routine. A relaxing bedtime routine can help signal to your body that it’s time to wind down for the evening. Taking a warm bath, reading a book, or stretching are all great ways to prepare for sleep.
3. Avoid caffeine and alcohol before bed. Caffeine is a stimulant that can keep you awake, so it’s best to avoid coffee, tea, energy drinks, and chocolate after lunchtime. Alcohol may make you feel drowsy at first, but it actually disrupts sleep later in the night.
4. Try using CBD Candles. CBD candles are said to provide relief from anxiety and help you sleep better.
5. Limit screen time before bed. The blue light emitted by electronic screens can interfere with sleep, so it’s best to avoid watching TV, working on the computer, or using your phone in the hours leading up to bedtime.
6. Get up and move around during the day. Exercise is a great way to combat insomnia, but it’s important not to do it too close to bedtime as it could make it harder to fall asleep. A moderate-intensity workout earlier in the day should do the trick.
7. Don’t drink too much before bedtime. Although it’s important to stay hydrated, drinking too much water or other fluids in the evening can lead to frequent trips to the bathroom and disrupt your sleep.
8. Don’t lie in bed awake. If you find yourself lying in bed awake at night, get up and do something else until you feel sleepy again. Trying unsuccessfully to fall asleep will only leave you feeling frustrated and make it harder to drift off when you finally do get sleepy again.
9. Take supplements. Some supplements, like melatonin, can be helpful for insomnia. Talk to your doctor before taking any supplements to make sure they’re right for you.
10. See a doctor. If nothing else works If you’ve tried all of these tips and still can’t seem to overcome insomnia, consult with your doctor. There could be an underlying medical cause for your sleeplessness.
While insomnia can be frustrating, there are things you can do to help you get the restful night’s sleep you need. By following these 10 practical tips, you’ll be on your way to getting better sleep in no time.